What to do when Satan Attacks You
16 Once when we were going to the place of prayer, we were met by a slave girl who had a spirit by which she predicted the future. She earned a great deal of money for her owners by fortune-telling. 17 This girl followed Paul and the rest of us, shouting, “These men are servants of the Most High God, who are telling you the way to be saved.” 18 She kept this up for many days. Finally Paul became so troubled that he turned around and said to the spirit, “In the name of Jesus Christ I command you to come out of her!” At that moment the spirit left her
Puthon (poo’-thone); from Putho (the name of the region where Delphi, the seat of the famous oracle, was located); a Python, i.e.
40 Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. “Could you men not keep watch with me for one hour?” he asked Peter. 41 “Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak.”
- Weak Prayer life.
- Prayer is a discipline. There is no such thing as a gift of prayer.
- In every failure of my life there have always been two common denominators: a dusty bible and a broken-down altar.
- Bible is God breathed.
2 Tim 3:16
16 All Scripture is God-breathed
- You cannot say it is written, if you haven’t read it.
12 Hope deferred makes the heart sick,
- Feeling overwhelmed and hopeless.
- Circumstances: two words: “circum (encircles) and “stance” (standing).
- Enemy to your circumstances is a BAD ATTITUTE.
- Why even try? No body tries to help me. What’s the use?
- Quitting is never an option.
- Believing that doing good does not pay.
13 “You have said harsh things against me,” says the Lord.”Yet you ask, ‘What have we said against you?’ 14 “You have said, ‘It is futile to serve God. What did we gain by carrying out his requirements and going about like mourners before the Lord Almighty? 15 But now we call the arrogant blessed. Certainly the evildoers prosper, and even those who challenge God escape.'”
5 We remember the fish we ate in Egypt at no cost — also the cucumbers, melons, leeks, onions and garlic. 6 But now we have lost our appetite; we never see anything but this manna!”
- Old Habits and lifestyle resurface.
- Selective memory.
11 As a dog returns to its vomit,
so a fool repeats his folly.
- Pulling away from godly relationships.
- Your friends are a photograph of your future.
- Joke: Two sailors drinking at a bar and then see some pathetic soldiers across from them. “That is going to be us in 30 years.”
- What not to do when you are under attack?
- Do not forget who made you. God created you to withstand the storms.
8 Do not gloat over me, my enemy!
Though I have fallen, I will rise.
1 Cor 10:13
13 No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.
- A divorce
- An illness
- A bankruptcy
Made of the right stuff,
A little brown cork
Fell in the path of a whale,
who lashed it down
with his angry tail.
But in spite of its blows
it quickly arose
And Floated serenely
before his nose.
Said the cork to the whale,
“You may sputter and frown
but you never, never can keep me down,
for I’m made of the stuff
That is buoyant enough
to float instead of to drown.
- Do not forsake the time of prayer.
“Could you not keep watch”
i. Time and place.
13 On the Sabbath we went outside the city gate to the river, where we expected to find a place of prayer.
16 But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed.
6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father,
ii. “room” “closet” chamber on the ground-floor or interior of an Oriental house (generally used for storage or privacy, a spot for retirement):
35 Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed.
iii. Park, garage, office room, gym, desert.
11 One day Jesus was praying in a certain place. When he finished, one of his disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples.”
iv. “Certain place”
v. Word of Life Church during office hour is open for people to come and pray.
- Do not forsake the church, which is the place of power.
i. As long as the prodigal son was in the father’s house, he was safe, but when he abondon the father’s house, he lost everything.
ii. We are creatures of motivation. We need motivation to continue doing good.
4 Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’
iii. We daily need to eat, daily need to brush our teeth, daily need hygiene, daily groom,
25 Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another — and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
iv. Consider, diets, exercise, reading clubs.
- Do not forsake the power of positive friendships
9 Two are better than one,
because they have a good return for their work:
10 If one falls down,
his friend can help him up.
But pity the man who falls
and has no one to help him up!
i. First temptation, serpent spoke only to Eve, not to Adam.
17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one man sharpens another.
ii. You are not as sharp as you think without other people.
1 Cor 15:33
33 Do not be misled: “Bad company corrupts good character.”
iii. Bad people can dull your spiritual edge.
- Do not disconnect from pastoral protection.
17 Obey your leaders and submit to their authority. They keep watch over you as men who must give an account.
- Shepherd sees a wolf coming and he keeps the wolf from attacking the sheep.