28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. 29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. 30 And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.
31 What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32 He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all — how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? 33 Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. 34 Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus, who died — more than that, who was raised to life — is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? 36 As it is written:
“For your sake we face death all day long;
we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.”
37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.
- Christian basis of hope:
32 He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all — how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?
- Jesus paid for everything at the cross…Christ Jesus, who died — more than that, who was raised to life — is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us.
- Jesus is at the throne praying for us.
- False hope. Non-Christian, but not us believers.
- Masada. Picture of Masada.
- In 73 CE, the Roman governor of Judaea Lucius Flavius Silva headed the Roman legion X Fretensis, laid siege to Masada
- According to Josephus, when Roman troops entered the fortress, they discovered that its 960 inhabitants had set all the buildings but the food storerooms ablaze and committed mass suicide or killed each other. Only two women and five children were found alive.
- Tour guide asked what we thought? Waco?
- Lie, Euthanasia. Extradorinary means to end life.
28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
- Work means to co-operate.
- Everything, including your suffering, is cooperating with God for your good.
- Tapestry: picture of tapestry.
- Red, blue, green, white, yellow, purple
- Divorce, bankruptcy, illness, prodigals, lawsuits, accidents, unfair treatment, persecutions–God weaves them together.
- Jobs require cooperation from others. Ex. Painter, buys the paint and brushes, buys the khakis, buys the van.
- Problems can bury you or plant you. Grow where you are at.
29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. 30 And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.
- We choose our attitudes. We are moving forward.
- Attitude. Determines the altitude.
- We are progressing, not de-gressing.
23 to be made new in the attitude of your minds;
- Just like God uses even suffering to advance you, He needs your cooperation. “Love God.”
- Negative attitude will limit your life.
1 Thess 5:8
But since we belong to the day, let us be self-controlled, putting on faith and love as a breastplate, and the hope of salvation as a helmet.
- Head injuries are the worst.
- Hope of Salvation. We are already saved in the sense of forgiven, but saved here speaks of all God’s redemptive work in your behalf, including this life.
1 Thess 5:16-18
16 Be joyful always; 17 pray continually; 18 give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
- Always, continually, all circumstances.
- Give thanks. Circumstance. circum–surrounded.
Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves.
- When Jesus gave thanks for what was not enough, then it became enough.
15 Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him;
I will surely defend my ways to his face.
16 Indeed, this will turn out for my deliverance,
for no godless man would dare come before him!
- Job affirmed the sovereignty of God, but also recognized that hope was the right thing to have in his mind. He believed he would be delivered.
- Airplane goes faster with the jet stream. You will get faster to your destination being positive, thankful, joyful and prayerful.
- Woman who went to doctor to doctor, but was negative. Doctor told her, “I’m getting better and better everyday in every way.” page 84