Satan Tries to Squeeze the Life out of You
Introduction: Are you fighting internal battles that seem to get the best of you? Prayer life? Joy of your salvation? Zeal gone? Spiritual desires waning? Something crept in?
16 Once when we were going to the place of prayer, we were met by a slave girl who had a spirit by which she predicted the future. She earned a great deal of money for her owners by fortune-telling. 17 This girl followed Paul and the rest of us, shouting, “These men are servants of the Most High God, who are telling you the way to be saved.” 18 She kept this up for many days. Finally Paul became so troubled that he turned around and said to the spirit, “In the name of Jesus Christ I command you to come out of her!” At that moment the spirit left her.
Puthon (poo’-thone); from Putho (the name of the region where Delphi, the seat of the famous oracle, was located); a Python, i.e.
- Python’s curl around the neck and body of a prey and then squeezes the life out of it. Picture of Python squeezing monkey
- A snake in the Garden.
- The Serpent tricked Eve, and it caused her to lose her life–breath.
- Satan will….
- Paralyze your ability to pray and read the Word
- Take the joy out of serving the Lord
- Get us bound in hurtful habits
- Python is after one thing: your breath.
- Breath is the symbol of spiritual life and of the Holy Spirit.
22 And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit.
- Remove the anointing of God from you.
- Pythons starts small, but grows large.
27 and do not give the devil a foothold.
- Too many believers are letting that “old serpent” coil his way around their lives, choking out what belongs to them.
- II. Paul and Silas were walking to the place of prayer when they spirit of Python interrupted them. The devil will try to interrupt your time of prayer and praise.
- III. If Satan can’t stop you from receiving Christ as your Savior, then he has plan B. to make you a miserable and unfruitful Christian.
- Ways Satan’s tries to squeeze the life out of you.
- Burdens of life
- Lose the Joy of your salvation.
- Ways Satan’s tries to squeeze the life out of you.
25 About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them.
- IV. You can defeat Satan with prayer, praise and your spiritual armor.
- Paul and Silas were signing praises at midnight.
- V. Early warning signs has greatly increased the survival rate for heart attack victims.
- Loss of Spiritual Desire.
3 O God, you are my God,
earnestly I seek you;
my soul thirsts for you,
my body longs for you,
in a dry and weary land
where there is no water.
- Losing spiritual desire rarely happens deliberately.
- Slowing cares of this life and desires for other things, Choke, the Word.
19 but the worries of this life, the deceitfulness of wealth and the desires for other things come in and choke the word, making it unfruitful.
- Things begin to cut in on your time in the Word.
- Then reasons to not be in church.
25 Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another — and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
- Nothing wrong with harmless entertainment, but it can subtly become a substitute for God’s presence.
- Elijah fell under a tree, exhausted.
1 Kings 19:3-5
3 Elijah was afraid and ran for his life. When he came to Beersheba in Judah, he left his servant there, 4 while he himself went a day’s journey into the desert. He came to a broom tree, sat down under it and prayed that he might die. “I have had enough, Lord,” he said. “Take my life; I am no better than my ancestors.” 5 Then he lay down under the tree and fell asleep.
- Spiritual attacks often take place after a great spiritual victory.
- God comes through with supernatural bread.
3. Lack Attack.
- Poor spending habits or maxing out your cards is not a demon.
- Things start to break down.
- Income slows down.
- Devil does this to try to get your eyes off of God.
- Pastor C got involved in a pyramid scheme.
- Pastor N got involved in subliminal tapes. Both had something in common. Church income was down.
- Pastor T involved in vows of $1000
8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. 9 “All this I will give you,” he said, “if you will bow down and worship me.”
10 Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.'”
- The enemy can orchestrate circumstances to give you what you are looking for at a vulnerable moment in your life and steal from you what matters most.
- Two times in you life when you are especially vulnerable to temptation: when you have nothing and when you have everything.
25 I was young and now I am old,
yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken
or their children begging bread.
- Never let your kids trade the things of God for minimum wage.
- Make a decision about tithing before a lack attack hits. Tithing is an act of trusting god to take care of the rest.
40 Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. “Could you men not keep watch with me for one hour?” he asked Peter. 41 “Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak.”
4. Weak Prayer life.
- Prayer is a discipline. There is no such thing as a gift of prayer.
- In every failure of my life there have always been two common denominators: a dusty bible and a broken-down altar.
- Bible is God breathed.
2 Tim 3:16
16 All Scripture is God-breathed
- iv. You cannot say it is written, if you haven’t read it.
12 Hope deferred makes the heart sick,
5. Feeling overwhelmed and hopeless.
- Circumstances: two words: “circum (encircles) and “stance” (standing).
- Enemy to your circumstances is a BAD ATTITUTE.
- Why even try? No body tries to help me. What’s the use?
- Quitting is never an option.
5 We remember the fish we ate in Egypt at no cost — also the cucumbers, melons, leeks, onions and garlic. 6 But now we have lost our appetite; we never see anything but this manna!”
6. Old Habits and lifestyle resurface.
- Selective memory.
11 As a dog returns to its vomit,
so a fool repeats his folly.
7. Pulling away from godly relationships.
- Your friends are a photograph of your future.
- Joke: Two sailors drinking at a bar and then see some pathetic soldiers across from them. “That is going to be us in 30 years.”