LAW OF RECIPROCITY
37 “Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. 38 Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.”
I. Jesus said he did not judge, but that his word will judge them. Judge gives “opinions” and “orders.”
47 “As for the person who hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge him. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save it. 48 There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; that very word which I spoke will condemn him at the last day.
- Oprah Winfrey asked TD Jakes his opinion on same sex marriage. “I do not have the right to my opinion when God has already spoken.”
- We offer our personal opinion.
- What goes around comes around.
- For every action, there is an equal reaction. These laws are partially true, but according to Jesus, what goes around will be more and the reaction will be greater.
- The law of reciprocity is relatively easy for us to identify since it is so visibly pervasive in the physical world.
2. The law of physics (jet, car over a hill)
31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.
II. How to apply it: even though the law is readily accepted by many few practice it.
- Interpersonal realm. You will find nice people anywhere you go if you’re nice to them.
- The story of Dick Simmons witnessing to some black youths. (page 124-125)
- Heaping hot coals on his head.
20 On the contrary:
“If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.”
- Financial realm.
Wrong way to give:
13 But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, 14 and you will be blessed. Although they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.”
1. Give to those who can pay you back
6 “Be careful not to do your ‘acts of righteousness’ before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.
2 “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
2. Give to maintain a good public relation.
Buy this product and we will donate 25 cents.
The correct way:
10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the Lord Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.
5 But you are to seek the place the Lord your God will choose from among all your tribes to put his Name there for his dwelling. To that place you must go; 6 there bring your burnt offerings and sacrifices, your tithes and special gifts, what you have vowed to give and your freewill offerings, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks. 7 There, in the presence of the Lord your God, you and your families shall eat and shall rejoice in everything you have put your hand to, because the Lord your God has blessed you.
- Offerings and other gifts.
2 Cor 9:7
7 Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
- Cheerfully (quality of the seed)
everything that does not come from faith is sin.
4. Give by faith
- Story of Missionary to Chile, “You have not declared my tithe to my people.” (page 118-119)
Look down from heaven, your holy dwelling place, and bless your people Israel and the land you have given us as you promised on oath to our forefathers, a land flowing with milk and honey.”
- OT elaborate ritual for giving. It included praying, and mentioning the past poverty of God’s people, then with a request for God to bless.
- Occupational realm.
- Do not go for a job with this thought in mind: What will I get out of it.
- Mt 5:41 Extra mile mentality.
- Story of Jacab and Labon.
Gen 29:13-30, 30:29-32, 31:1-3