they believe for a while,
and they do not mature
15 But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop.
- You must understand this parable to understand any of Jesus other parables.
13 Then Jesus said to them, “Don’t you understand this parable? How then will you understand any parable?
B. This parable is foundational to all other parables.
C. This parable is about the Word of God that
people receive into their hearts.
- The word brings salvation (1 Pe 1:23), healing (Ps 107:20), prosperity (Pr 3:2), overcome the evil one (1 Jn 2:14).
A. The key to producing fruit is perseverance.
B. A farmer must be patient.
- The Law of Perseverance is absolutely necessary.
- We live in a society that gives up when the going gets tough.
- Quit job
- We are by nature, quitters.
- The world counts on you to give up.
- Story of company who refused to give me my money back.
- Money back guarantee.
- Automatic renewal.
- Politicians count on you quitting.
- Too often Christians gives up is in Prayer
9 “So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 10 For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.
- Ask, seek and knock are words in the present imperative and present particles often repeated.
9 So I say to you, Ask and keep on asking and it shall be given you; seek and keep on seeking and you shall find; knock and keep on knocking and the door shall be opened to you.
- This teaching was so important that Jesus repeats this teaching later in His ministry.
will see that she gets justice, so that she won’t eventually wear me out with her coming!'”
- The negative lesson is “giving up”.
- God answers quickly.
- Why does it not seem quickly to us? Because we have not developed strong enough faith.
- Strong faith does not tell time.
4 Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
- Perseverance is necessary in order to develop strength so that you will be prepared for the next level of opportunity.
- The chick and the egg.
- Certain risks go with every new opportunity, but God prepares us for those risks through perseverance and struggle, building our muscles for every new phase of our lives.
“We must go through many hardships to enter the kingdom of God,”
- Hardships are necessary to enter the kingdom of God, which are the benefits of Calvary. Kingdom suffereth violence–Mt 11:12
- Discouragement. Elijah.
- Satan’s favorite weapons to cause God’s people to give up are discouragement and depression.
- We must constantly be alert against discouragement and depression.
- Satan discourages by trying to keep our focus on what we see.
1. You’re not accomplishing anything.
2. You’re on the wrong course.
3. You’re not going to succeed at that.
4. You’re not going to healed.
5. You’re not going to have enough money.
6. Your family will never get saved.
12 We do not want you to become lazy, but to imitate those who through faith and patience inherit what has been promised.
- The power twins.
- Just as we are by nature lustful rather than loving; greedy rather than giving, we are lazy rather than diligent.
- Many want faith, but lack patience to make their faith work.
- Bible Examples:
1. Mt 9:27-30 Two blind men.
2. Mt 15:21-28 Canaanite woman.
- Modern Examples:
- Abraham Lincoln. Lost the senate race in Illinois before he became President.
- Thomas Edison failed through hundreds of experiments before he achieved success with the electric light.
- Wright Brothers constantly battled the elements, the ridicule of men, lack of resources. They built, they failed, they rebuilt and failed again. Finally they flew.
- Story of Stanford Cardinals playing California Golden Bears. 1982 band game. California wins. youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fZCCAqoSwY run 1:05