Happily Ever After
4 “Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’ 5 and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’? 6 So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate.”
- Happily ever after does not have to be a fairy tale.
- The reason Jesus expected marriage to last a lifetime was because He believed marriage could be that good and wonderful. God intended marriage to last a lifetime, because it would be the best thing that ever happened to you.
- There is nothing in the world that you would want for life:
- Story of Beverly Hills hair stylist, yet, no one would want to keep the same hair style for life.
- Cars, clothes,
- Maybe tattoos.
- “What God has joined together.” This is the secrete. God made marriage for humans made in His likeness. What God makes will last a lifetime.
- Nothing humans make last forever. They deteriorate.
- Joke of the ant and elephant.
- Since God joins together two people in holy matrimony, then God takes it upon Himself to give all the graces the couple needs to be married happily ever after.
2 On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus’ mother was there, 2 and Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding. 3 When the wine was gone, Jesus’ mother said to him, “They have no more wine.”
4 “Dear woman, why do you involve me?” Jesus replied. “My time has not yet come.”
5 His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.”
6 Nearby stood six stone water jars, the kind used by the Jews for ceremonial washing, each holding from twenty to thirty gallons.
7 Jesus said to the servants, “Fill the jars with water”; so they filled them to the brim.
8 Then he told them, “Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet.”
They did so, 9 and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside 10 and said, “Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now.”
- Jesus first miracle illustrated God’s part and humans part in making something so joyful that it brings happiness to people.
- Story of married couple that ran out of wine.
- Illustrate: Couples sometimes think they do not have what it takes to stay happy for their whole lives.
2 On the third day a wedding took place
- Speaks of the resurrection. Sometimes a marriage can be buried. No hope.
4 why do you involve me?”
- Great mistake is to not involve the Lord in your marriage.
5 His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.”
- Obeying Christ will bring a miracle into your marriage.
9 He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew.
- The world will never understand why your marriage is so good, but you will know it is because the Lord made it so good.
10 you have saved the best till now.”
- Marriage can get better and better as you grow old together. Honeymoon should be the worst time in your marriage.
- Like wine, it gets better with age. So marriage can become happier as you stay together in marriage. However, wine signifies both God’s part and man’s part in making wine.
- Plant the seed, water the seed and grapes, harvest the grapes, crush the grapes and store the juice into wine skins (barrels). Humankind can do nothing after this. It is all God.
18 The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.”
- Plant the seed. Respect the opposite gender. End the war of the sexes.
- Seed can do nothing without the ground.
- “Helper suitable”
- Help–the other person and yourself must be the cause of blessings. If you or the other ceases to be a help, and, instead, becomes a hindrance to other person, then God’s intention for marriage has been thwarted.\
- Suitable–Literally, the opposite and corresponding strength. They will be the yin to your yang. Picture of yin and yang.
- My struggle early in our marriage revolved around Sonia’s emotional sensitivity.
- I miss my mommy.
1 Peter 3:7
7 Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.
1 Peter 3:7
7 Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them wisely, giving honour unto the woman, as unto a more fragile vessel and as being heirs together of the grace of life, that your prayers not be hindered.
- China is more fragile than Tupperware, yet it is more valuable and precious.
25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26 to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word,
- Water the seed and budding grapes.
- Effort when you see nothing.
- Love is not lust!
19 Having lost all sensitivity, they have given themselves over to sensuality so as to indulge in every kind of impurity, with a continual lust for more.
- Lust is never satisfied. If you lust for your wife, she will never satisfy you. You will want more from her and when she cannot give it, you will look for others who can.
- Water with the Word of God. You can water, but you did not make the water.
24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”
- Note: Jesus turn the water into wine because the servants obeyed His word to fill the jars with water.
- Life lesson: Read the sermon on the Mount as a couple then share what you learn pertaining to marriage.
- The only reason marriages dissolve is because one or both partners chose to stop living by the Word.
- Forgive, see the best, humble.
5 Do not reap what grows of itself or harvest the grapes of your untended vines.
- Harvest the grapes.
- You only get what you worked for.
- Get joy only from your spouse.
2 You will eat the fruit of your labor;
blessings and prosperity will be yours.
3 Your wife will be like a fruitful vine
within your house;
your sons will be like olive shoots
around your table.
4 Thus is the man blessed
who fears the Lord.
- Grass is always greener on the other side.
- Unfaithfulness to the spouse.
- Don’t have a right to have sex unless the person is your spouse.
2 Sam 13:1
13 In the course of time, Amnon son of David fell in love with Tamar, the beautiful sister of Absalom son of David.
- Forbidden love.
2 Sam 13:13-15
please speak to the king; he will not keep me from being married to you.” 14 But he refused to listen to her, and since he was stronger than she, he raped her.
15 Then Amnon hated her with intense hatred. In fact, he hated her more than he had loved her. Amnon said to her, “Get up and get out!”
- Forbidden sex will turn into hatred.
- When a spouse overnight turns away from their spouse, it is usually a sign that they have forbidden love for someone else.
- Book and movie, Fifty shades of Grey.
- Soft porn, glorifies sexual abuse against women and distorts the true meaning of love.
- University of Michigan did a study on the effects of Fifty Shades of Grey on women readers. It showed that women who read the books were 25 percent more likely to have an abusive partner; 34 percent were more likely to have a partner who stalked them; and 65 percent were more likely to engage in binge drinking.
- Master of the banquet took the bridegroom aside to compliment him. This shows respect to the husband.
- Crushes the grapes and puts juice into wineskins. Then God takes over.
- Crushing blows to marriage.
- Skin of a goat. Skin made from tail and leg of the goat.
6 Nearby stood six stone water jars, the kind used by the Jews for ceremonial washing
- Stone jars used in ceremonial washings. Stone jars made out of clay (ground).
- Six speaks of the sixth day of creation where God created both Adam and Eve. Sin took place on the seventh day.
- Ceremonial washings. Cleansing of sin. Holy.
- Lesson: your marriage is in this carnal world (skins) where people often act like animals, but God takes your life (jars), and works the miracle in your heart through cleaning of sin and forgiveness, He turns the water into wine.
- Marriage is like a triangle, God on top and the husband and wife below at the corner. The closer they get to God, the closer they get to each other. Picture of triangle.