One Spiritual Habit
Introduction: Forming better habits will create a better life. Habits of caring for others, giving, being peaceful, expressing joy and gratitude, showing moderation in all things–things good habits will bring forth good things in your life.
35 The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him.
35 A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.
- Self control is an internal thing. It’s not what is outside of you, but what is going on inside of you.
- All flesh is the same. There is no physical DNA that makes anyone good.
9 How can a young man keep his way pure?
By living according to your word.
10 I seek you with all my heart;
do not let me stray from your commands.
11 I have hidden your word in my heart
that I might not sin against you.
- Treasure determines the value of the container.
16 “Are you still so dull?” Jesus asked them. 17 “Don’t you see that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and then out of the body? 18 But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these make a man ‘unclean.’ 19 For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander. 20 These are what make a man ‘unclean’; but eating with unwashed hands does not make him ‘unclean.'”
- The heart is the manufacturing center of your life.
- Manufacturing plants. We only see the product (car, appliances, toys, books) but there was a plant few see that made the products.
- Mouth reveals the heart.
- Nothing wrong with marijuana or drugs; it’s the same as alcohol.
- I’m going to get even with this person
- This situation is driving me crazy.
- I will never be loved for who I am.
- My wife cannot satisfy me like this other woman.
- I am not paid enough.
- If I don’t get caught it’s not wrong.
- If I don’t stop this person, they are going to hurt me.
- I know what I am saying is not true, but this person will get away with it if I told the truth.
- God made me gay and that is who I am.
- My story of Hate when I was discriminated in high school.
- Martin Luther King Jr, birthday, next week, and he learned to keep hatred out of his heart.
- Filling your heart with hatred, lust, and greed.
- Bad experience. Sewer. Gets all discarded junk that gives no nutrition. Yet, you can recycle the sewer water and make it pure drinking water.
- The Word is the filter system. You must add the Word to the sewer of your life. The Word of God speaks love, goodness, patience, joy, peace, self control.
- Story of Diana Mendiola. Prostitute and drug transporter. Lust, felt not a woman without a man. Hit by Tyson. Got saved and renewed her mind. She is pastor and helps drug addicts, prostitutes and those with AIDS. http://www.christianpost.com/news/diana-mendiola-former-prostitute-turns-international-evangelist-102133/ picture of Diana Mendiola.
- Story of Donnie McClurkin. Picture of Donnie McClurkin. Molested by uncle, then older cousin, raised by a sea of women. Femine disposition which attracted homosexual men to take advantage. His answer was his spiritual identity.
35 The good man brings good things
21 When all the people were being baptized, Jesus was baptized too. And as he was praying, heaven was opened 22 and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.”
- One Spiritual habit that will change your life. Satan attacks your identity. Who you think you are will naturally precede who you act like.
3 The devil said to him, “If you are the Son of God, tell this stone to become bread.”
9 The devil led him to Jerusalem and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. “If you are the Son of God,” he said, “throw yourself down from here.
- Jesus temptation is our tempation.
- Losing weight, getting more education, and managing debt and stress top the U.S. government’s list of most popular resolutions for a new year. But issues in these areas are often mere symptoms of an underlying spiritual condition relating to whom or what we each believe we are—our identities. Consequently we use money, education, work and so many other things as means to define ourselves and steer our own destinies.
2 Cor 4:7
7 But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.
- Ultimately Satan’s strategy is to fill our minds with other voices that detract from the voice of truth that identifies us with Christ: a new creature (2 Cor. 5:17), righteous (2 Cor. 5:21), chosen (Eph. 1:5) and accepted (Eph. 1:6). Satan knows that identity gives way to purpose and mission.
- Highly evolved animal
- Environment and genetics.
- Jesus used scriptures:
I will not let myself be overcome by evil, but I will overcome evil with good (Rom. 12:21).
I don’t worry about anything. Instead I seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and I trust that all of my needs will be met (Matt. 6:31-33).
God has not given me a spirit of fear or shyness. Instead I have power, love and self-discipline (2 Tim. 1:7).
I’m in Christ, and therefore I’m a new creation. My record of wrongs is erased, and I’m no longer defined by my past or mistakes, but I have a fresh new start (2 Cor. 5:17)!
At the cross Jesus bore my sins on His body, so I’m free from sin and live in righteousness. Because of His wounds I have been healed (1 Pet. 2:24).
In my weariness I come to Jesus, and He gives me rest. I work with Him and learn from Him, for His yoke is easy and His burden is light. He refreshes my soul (Matt. 11:28-30).
I submit myself to God. I resist the devil, and he must flee from me. I draw near to God, and He draws near to me (James 4:7-8).