2 Peter 1:5-8
5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7 and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
2 Peter 3:18
8 But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever! Amen.
- Peter begins the epistle with encouragement to grow in the fruit of the Spirit and he ends it with a reminder to grow in grace and knowledge.
- If you are not growing, you are dying.
- 50 percent of high school graduates never read entire book after graduation.
- Winners never stop learning.
2 Peter 1:3-4
3 His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.
- God created us to have everything we need for life and godliness. But this life comes through knowledge.
- Myles Munroe: the wealthiest places are cemeteries. Buried businesses, books, songs, dreams, potential.
- “Make every effort“. Mankind has a part to play in growing.
11 Can papyrus grow tall where there is no marsh?
Can reeds thrive without water?
1 Cor 3:6-7
6 I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow.
- Your effort to grow as a businesses leader, as an employee, as a parent, as a citizen, is to purpose to feed on the Word of God.
- Brian: “I realized that I could not grow if I wasn’t fed.”
- You can take the strongest and most devout Christian, but if he is deprived of the Word of God, he will lose his strength and commitment toward Christ.
- DeMarco Murray, “He eats a huge meal and drinks an abundance of water before each game, and he says it feeds him the energy to play well.”
- Ways to grow in your knowledge of God.
- Daily scripture readings.
- Pod casts
- CDs, audio books or radio broadcasts in your car. 101 minutes a day. You will average 4.3 years of your life in a car.
- Young–checked out teaching tapes. Isuzu Bible School.
- Internet (not given just to share pictures, play games or look up movie times) nearly 3,000 visitors come to my site.
- Christian television
- Books (kindle)
- Face to face.
2 John 12
12 I have much to write to you, but I do not want to use paper and ink. Instead, I hope to visit you and talk with you face to face, so that our joy may be complete.
- Face to face encounter is far better than other ways of communication.
- Bookworm, geek and nerds.
- Sports and cheerleading glorified in school.
- Popularity sought after.
- What matters:
- Science fair
- Math club
- Chess club
- Debate team
- The varsity football jock works for the head of the Math club
- The popular cheerleaders works for the person on the debate team.
- When you look for a doctor, do you prefer one that was popular in school or one who was a bookwork?
- When you fly do you want a pilot that was popular in school or was a geek?
- When you do business with someone, do you trust the one who was popular in school or a nerd better?
- Thomas Edison, Henry Ford and Harvey Firestone had homes next to each other in Florida.
- If your friends are LARRY, CURLY AND MOE, you may have had fun, but you are likely not going anywhere.
- Movie, Good will Hunting. Matt Damon (Will Hunting) and Ben Affleck. Janitor at M.I.T has a gift for mathematics.
1 Peter 1:13
13 Therefore, prepare your minds for action;
- God did not create us as the strongest creature, but he made us the smartest.
- We should grow in all things.
15 Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ.
- Move full speed ahead. Racetrack.
- Pilots have to get yearly training because of constant changes.
- David practiced his slingshot.
- There is nothing in our minds to prevent us from growing in knowledge. 11 percent of our brain.
- God gives breaks to those prepared.
2 Peter 1:2
2 Grace and peace be yours in abundance through the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord.
1 What I am saying is that as long as the heir is a child, he is no different from a slave, although he owns the whole estate.
- Characteristics of Christians in the childhood stage of development and refusing to grow.
- Will, my kids get the money when they reach 26.
- Do not enjoy their privileges in Christ. Can’t drive car.
- Sin shall not have dominion.
- Healed by the stripes of Jesus.
- God supplies all your needs.
- God has not given you the spirit of fear.
Love of God has been shed abroad in your