Expect Good Things
Who were they who heard and rebelled? Were they not all those Moses led out of Egypt? 17 And with whom was he angry for forty years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose bodies fell in the desert? 18 And to whom did God swear that they would never enter his rest if not to those who disobeyed? 19 So we see that they were not able to enter, because of their unbelief.
4:1 Therefore, since the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it. 2 For we also have had the gospel preached to us, just as they did; but the message they heard was of no value to them, because those who heard did not combine it with faith.
- Our expectations set the limits of our lives.
- Story of the Israelite spies who came back with a negative report. They doubted.
- God is a faith God. He will do what you believe him to do.
28 So tell them, ‘As surely as I live, declares the Lord, I will do to you the very things I heard you say:
- Hometown of Nazareth. Picture of Tom in the synagogue.
58 And he did not do many miracles there because of their lack of faith.
- “Nothing good ever happens to me.” “God never answers my prayers.” “I am getting worse.”
28 When he had gone indoors, the blind men came to him, and he asked them, “Do you believe that I am able to do this?”
29 Then he touched their eyes and said, “According to your faith will it be done to you”;
- Not “According to my power” but “According to your faith.”
- Why is faith necessary? It is proof of the Lordship of Christ over our lives.
- Original sin was doubt.
19 For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners,
- Disobedience caused by doubt.
- Reason some do not tithe is not because they are intentionally trying to be rebellious, but they are doubtful of God’s faithfulness. It is rebellion nevertheless.
everything that does not come from faith is sin.
- It is natural and normal to doubt. Doubt is our nature.
- Studies have shown that we remember negative things more than positive things. Brain, negative things take up more space in the brain than positive things.
- When you have been through hurts, disappointments and failure, you have to guard your mind.
- Story of Rachel Smith, 2007, won Miss USA. Later she completed for Miss Universe. Fell down. Question: “If you could relive andn redo any moment of your life over again, what moment would that be?” Answer, “Like to relive the trip to Africa helping orphans.” page 59-60
- Switch channels. Remote control.
4 For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.
- God gave feasts to help people remember the victories.
- Remember the time God saved you, healed you, blessed you, answered your prayers.
- Read the stories in the Bible to give you hope: David killing Goliath, Hannah getting pregnant, Jesus multiplying the loaves and fishes and Empty tomb (picture of resurrection Tom and Sonia at tomb)
- When Cowboys win I watch the NFL network
For surely, O Lord, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield.
- Believe for Favor.
- Quit saying, “People do not like me.” “I never get any breaks.” “People always discriminate against me.”
- Start saying, “The Lord surrounds me with the shield of favor. People go out of their way to help me.”
1 Sam 17:40
Then he took his staff in his hand, chose five smooth stones from the stream, put them in the pouch of his shepherd’s bag and, with his sling in his hand, approached the Philistine.
- David and Goliath.
- You have to beat your problems with faith before you beat them with natural weapons.
- Staff is your scriptures to remind you of what God has done.
11 I will remember the deeds of the Lord;
yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago.
- Remember the miracles of the Bible.
- Israelites failed because they forgot the miracles of old.
42 They did not remember his power —
the day he redeemed them from the oppressor,