Keep Your Vision in front of you
2 Cor 4:17-18
17 For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
- God created you to be a winner. Great quality of a winner is to Keep the vision in front of your eyes. Troubles. “Temporary”
- Jim Carrey, early 1980s no parts. He drove on top of a hill in his beat up car overlooking Hollywood. There he wrote a check for 1 million dollars “Acting Serves Rendered.” He kept that check in his wallet and when things looked dim, he pulled it out. page 1
- We move toward our dominant vision.
- Sight is the most important sense we have.
2 Cor 5:7
7 We live by faith, not by sight.
11 Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
- We have two sets of eyes: one sees the physical, one sees the spiritual. Imagination.
- Abraham “Imagine-Nations”
5 He took him outside and said, “Look up at the heavens and count the stars — if indeed you can count them.” Then he said to him, “So shall your offspring be.”
6 Abram believed the Lord, and he credited it to him as righteousness.
17 I will surely bless you and make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as the sand on the seashore. Your descendants will take possession of the cities of their enemies,
- Abraham “Imagine-Nations”
- Human beings have this capability. Why? So that faith has a target.
- Little boy drew a picture of God. Teacher said. No one knows what God looks like. Child, they will when I get through.
- Things I do:
- Before engaged I put Sonia’s picture on my mirror and prayed for her.
- Sonia and I went to home shows to get a vision of our own house.
- We visit churches and see what they are doing to give us a vision.
- I have pictures of church buildings.
- I have a picture of Jesus laughing.
- Things you can do:
- Put an empty photo album on your table that you plan to fill.
- Go test drive an expensive car. Take a picture of it.
- Cut out a wedding dresses.
- Put picture of your dreams.
- Write out a check for yourself.
- Put up religious and Christian symbols in your house.
- Buy a school T-shirt to the college you want to go to.
- Picture of an orphanage you want to support.
- Write scriptures that speak to you. Put them up in a place where you can see them.
10 “Who despises the day of small things? Men will rejoice when they see the plumb line in the hand of Zerubbabel.
- Memorials in the OT. Sacraments in the NT. All point to seeing the invisible.
- People set objects: stones, trees. Festivals.
- Communion, baptism, anointing
- Plumb line measuring tool for construction. It represented the finish product.
- Do you have a plumb line before your eyes?
- Wanted twins, but his wife, Lisa, could not get pregnant. One day, he got a package from Huggies of two diapers. Sign from God. He wrote the dates on the diapers and placed them on a desk. Call about adopting twins about to be born. page 5
18 Where there is no vision, the people perish:
- I like to write down all the things that God has done.
20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us,
- Don’t imagine small. Imagine something only God could do.
- Don’t let negative talks shrink your imagination.
- Listen to what God is telling you.
- Conrad Hilton: 1930 saw an article about the Waldorf Hotel, most beautiful. God put it into his heart to own the hotel. He cut out pictures of the hotel and put in under the glass on his desk. 18 years late he bought 250,000 shares of the Waldorf Corporation.
- Where is your focus?
- A tight rope walker cannot look down, he looks straight ahead.
- My story of learning how to overcome sea sickness.
Num 21:8-9 8 And the Lord said to Moses, Make a fiery serpent [of bronze] and set it on a pole; and everyone who is bitten, when he looks at it, shall live. 9 And Moses made a serpent of bronze and put it on a pole, and if a serpent had bitten any man, when he looked to the serpent of bronze [l attentively, expectantly, with a steady and absorbing gaze], he lived.
- Many of you are spiritually sick, emotionally ill because you have focused on the wrong things.