The Name: Possession of the Church
Introduction: The generation that understands the power of name of Jesus will be the generation that ushers in the second coming of Christ. This generation will do marvelous exploits in Christ’ name.
- W. Kenyon: “Oh, that our eyes were open; that our souls would dare rise into the realm of Omnipotence where the Name would mean to us all that the Father has invested in it; that we would act up to our high privileges in Christ Jesus….Here and there, some of us have experienced the authority vested in the Name of Jesus. We have seen the lame walk, the deaf hear, the blind see; those on the verge of death brought back instantly to health and vigor; but, so far, none of us have been able to take a permanent place in our privileges and abide where we may enjoy the fullness of this mighty power.“ But we have a conviction that before the Lord Jesus returns, there will be a mighty army of believers who will learn the secret of living in the Name, of reigning in life, living the victorious, transcendent, resurrection life of the Son of God among men.”
“Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain,
to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength
and honor and glory and praise!”
- Church is rich beyond knowledge.
- Church has been poverty bound, even some quarters of the church, poverty vows were common.
- Poverty means total neediness—sin conscious, punishment mentality, and suffering attitude has been the norm, the reason because the church did not know its wealth. We have been authorized to act in Christ place with his authority, power and riches.
- What he has, is now yours.
- Power—ability, can do all things.
- Wealth—total provision.
- Strength—The quality or state of being strong, bodily or muscular power; vigor, mental power, moral power, firmness or courage. Power of resisting force.
- Honor—to be given dignity.
- Glory—to be worthy of that dignity.
- Praise—to have others verbalize their approval.
- Charles Haddan Spurgeon., noted English Baptist preacher…elderly woman with a frame document. She worked for English nobility. Bequest. (name of Jesus, page 56-57)
18 I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades.
- The one who has the key is the authorized One.
18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.
- He immediately delegated his authority to the Church.
19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
- Then he promised…
17 And these signs will accompany those who believe:
- He authorized us by giving us the right to use his name.
- Jesus never needed his name; He has ruled creation by his Word. The church needed the name.
- The name is the token of our authority. It is a badge.
- Badge represents the authority; it is not the thing that gives a police officer authority. He got his authority by training and knowing the Law, then he was conferred the legal authority to enforce the Law.
- You can try to use the name, but without the disciplining of the Lord, you will falter when you attempt to exercise authority.
13 Some Jews who went around driving out evil spirits tried to invoke the name of the Lord Jesus over those who were demon-possessed. They would say, “In the name of Jesus, whom Paul preaches, I command you to come out.”
- They did not know Jesus nor really know about Paul’s teaching, for they did not attend with him daily in the lecture hall to be taught.
He took the disciples with him and had discussions daily in the lecture hall of Tyrannus.
- Some people would have us to believe that healing, miracles, and tongues have passed away. However, these signs accompany the name. Has the name been taken away from the church? Of course not, for if it has then salvation has been taken away.
12 Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved.”
- There is more to salvation than forgiveness of our sins. Sozo, or Soteria according to Greek scholars everywhere means deliverance, preservation, soundness, health, and prosperity. Salvation in the Old Testament never meant going to heaven. The blessing of eternal life was added under the new and better covenant, however, that does not mean God took away the other blessings that salvation means.
- Today, preachers seem to exclude the various meanings of the word salvation.
6 Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.”
- The language is clear, “What I Have” should prove that the name of Jesus is the possession of the church.
17 The seventy-two returned with joy and said, “Lord, even the demons submit to us in your name.”
- The disciple knew the authority they had in the name, even before Jesus conquered the devil and rose from the dead.
13 Moses said to God, “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ Then what shall I tell them?”
14 God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM. This is what
you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I AM has sent me to you.'”
56 Your father Abraham rejoiced at the thought of seeing my day; he saw it and was glad.”
57 “You are not yet fifty years old,” the Jews said to him, “and you have seen Abraham!”
58 “I tell you the truth,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!”
- God is what ever we need him to be.
- This name is related to the English word “Yahweh”
“Jehovah” or “Lord”. “I am” begins a declaration of who someone is.
- There are eight names compounded with the name
Jehovah in the Old Testament. These names meet
every need of ours.
- Jehovah-Rophe–“The Lord that heals you”
- Jehova-Tsidkenu– “The Lord our Righteousness
- Jehovah-Shalom– “The Lord our peace”
- Jehovah-Shammah– “The Lord is there”
- Jehovah-M’kaddesh–“The Lord who sanctifies”
- Jehovah-Nissi–“The Lord your banner”
- Jehovah-Rohi– “The Lord my shepherd”
- Jehovah-Jireh–“The Lord is my provider”
- Rich beyond knowledge will do you good when your knowledge reaches the place of your riches. Many do not walk in their authority because they do not prayerfully, study the Word so they could know their place.