Mediate the Word
- Meditate the Word to get it inside of you.
3 My heart grew hot within me, and as I meditated, the fire burned; then I spoke with my tongue:
8 Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.
- Mediating the Word is the way to put real bullets into your gospel gun.
- Confession is like pulling a trigger.
- God pulled the trigger at creation.
- Rom 10:10 “Confession is made unto salvation.”
- Empty blanks make noise but don’t have power.
- Many people are like parrots, repeating words of scripture without any revelation.
- Some people make good confessions along with bad ones because they have no revelation of the Word of God.
“Binding didn’t work”
“Prayer didn’t reach God”
“I can’t pay my bills”
“I still feel afraid”
“My marriage is over”
“I feel worse”
“The devil is not fleeing”
- Mediate is to think deeply about something. We do this all the time.
- Eye gate, ear gate, mouth gate.
- Ex. See mother abused by father. Monkey see, monkey do.
- Ex. Hear that you are limited.
- Mouth is the dialogue you have with yourself over the things you have seen and heard.
- Most Christians try to live on sermon to sermon, but do no study of scriptures themselves.
- You never become a doer by hearing the Word only.
- Multiplication tables.
11 Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.
15 But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop.
- Meditate the Word is to meditate in the book of the Law. This is the next step up from hearing the Word preached.
- “Book” not “voice of Moses”.
- You can’t live on sermons, Sermons give you revelations. But you must meditate on the revelation to get the Word inside your spirit.
- Hearing the Word taught by others will stir your heart and bring revelation, but it is your meditation on the written Word that will put power behind your words.
- Example: hearing about faith, but you let other sermons dissuade you rather than looking up the written Word of God.
- Revelation only gives you a warm heart; but meditation puts a fire in your heart.
- Meditation is an internal dialogue within you by which you look up and study the scriptures to confirm what you should believe in.
- Mediate comes from this meditate. Take the “T” out and you have the word: Mediate.
- Mediate: Intervene between people in a dispute in order to bring about an agreement or reconciliation
- Two people in your life: old man and New
- Not focus on mental ability, but Spirit ability.
- Traditional view over the Truth.
- Mental v Spiritual. Mental is doubting. Bereans were not doubtful or skeptical, but “received the message with eagerness.” They examined the scriptures, not to prove Paul wrong, but to get the Word planted in their hearts.
- To look very intently and carefully, not to miss even one item.
39 You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me,
13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.
1 Cor 2:14
14 The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.
- Two down to earth methods to meditate. Mutter and Muse.
- Mutter—to speak to yourself in a low tone of voice.
- Same word used for “murmured”
- When you think intensely about something you automatically speak to your self.
“Do not let it depart from your mouth”
14 May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.
- When the words that come out of your mouth do not line up with God’s Word, you are not meditating.
- Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth…
- Muse—revolve in your mind one theme or one Scripture passage. Consider deeply.
- Squeezing juice out of an orange.
- Cows digestive system.
- No one will be a doer of the Word simply by hearing the Word. You must meditate it.
1 Kings 18:41
41 And Elijah said unto Ahab, Get thee up, eat and drink; for there is a sound of abundance of rain.
- Elijah heard the sound of an abundance of rain. You can meditation on abundance when there is lack all around you.
- How to meditate.
18 Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law.
2 Tim 2:15
15 Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.
22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.