Learn how to fall
31 “Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift you as wheat. 32 But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers.”
33 But he replied, “Lord, I am ready to go with you to prison and to death.”
34 Jesus answered, “I tell you, Peter, before the rooster crows today, you will deny three times that you know me.”
16 for though a righteous man falls seven times, he rises again, but the wicked are brought down by calamity.
23 The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way.
24 Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand.
- Dream of pastor who fell forward.
- What makes achievers excel? Success. John Maxwell says it is Not…
- Family Background
- High morals. Scoundrels have been high producers.
- Absence of hardship
- The difference between average people and achieving people is their perception of and response to failure.
- In sports, they teach you how to fall.
- In theatre they teach you how to fall.
- Learn how to fall. Sonia’s broken arm in High Jump.
- Soldiers fell backward.
- Blame others
- Repeat same mistakes
- Expect never to fall again
- Expect to Continually fail
- Limited by past mistakes
- Thinking I am a failure
- John fell forward to worship Christ.
- Take responsibility
- Learn from each mistake
- Failure is part of the process
- Positive attitude
- Take new risk
- Believing something did not work
- Thomas Edison, “Every failure is one step closer to finding the answer.”
- Fear of failure. Babies fall.
- Story of Justin skiing. Fall Justin. Picture of kids skiing
H. Biggest strikeout king in baseball. Babe Ruth.
1 Pet 1:6-7
6 In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials.
7 These have come so that your faith– of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire– may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.
- Thoughts about falling.
- You don’t want the Midas Touch. King Midas. Dionysos
- Failure is not bad if it doesn’t attack your heart. Success is all right if doesn’t go to your head.
- One of the greatest problems people have with failure is that they are too quick to judge isolated situations in their lives and label them as failures. Instead, they need to keep the bigger picture in mind.
- Entrepreneurs fail 3.8 times because success.
- Learn a new definition of failure and success.
- Failure is not…
“All have sinned”
“If anyone claims to be without sin he deceives himself…”
- J.M. Barrie, “We are all failures—at least, all the best of us are.”
Rule # 1. You will learn lessons.
Rule #2. There are no mistakes—only lessons
Rule #3. A lesson is repeated until it is learned.
Rule #4. If you don’t learn the easy lessons, they get harder.
Rule $5. You’ll know you’ve learned a lesson when your actions change.
- An Event.
3 Jn 1:2
2 Dear friend, I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you, even as your soul is getting along well.
Prosper euodoo (yoo-od-o’-o); to help on the road, i.e. (passively) succeed in reaching; figuratively, to succeed in business affairs:
KJV– (have a) prosper (-ous journey).
- Success is how you deal with life along the way.
- Subjective: You are the only person who can really label what you do a failure.
- What will history say about you? It is subjective.
- NBA coach, Rick Pitino, “Failure is good. It’s fertilizer. Everything I’ve learned about coaching I’ve learned from making mistakes.
- Football plays.
- Texas saying, “It doesn’t matter how much milk you spill as long as you don’t lose your cow.”
- “Don’t cry over spilt milk. Clean it up.”
- People live wishing they could take back what they did. But they can’t.
- David Brinkley asked columnist Ann Landers what question she most frequently receives from readers. “What is wrong with me?”
- “I am not a failure. I failed at doing something. There’s a big difference.”
- Apostle Paul did not allow his past to taint his future. He was bold and called himself an apostle. He didn’t asked to sweep the floors.
23 They only heard the report: “The man who formerly persecuted us is now preaching the faith he once tried to destroy.”
24 And they praised God because of me.
1 Tim 1:15-16
15 Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners– of whom I am the worst.
16 But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life.
- Old saying, “God uses people who fail—cause there aren’t any other kind around.”
- Sergio Zyman is mastermind behind New Coke. He left the company and got rehired because ultimately the action ended up being positive. Coca-Cola Classic.
- David’s achievements after Bethsheba. Solomon, design temple, raised funds for it. Psalm 18-21 victories, chapter 22 begins with failure.
- Samson’s greatest achievement after Deliah.
- The cross. Symbol of defeat is our victory.