Faith Pleases God
11 Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. 2 This is what the ancients were commended for.
3 By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.
- The heroes of the Bible have only one common denominator: They lived by faith.
For before he was taken, he was commended as one who pleased God. 6 And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.
- Only biblical record of Enoch “pleasing God” was the phrase: “Enoch walked with God.”
- Without Faith you cannot please God. You may have other good qualities: kindness, unselfishness, self control, or any other qualities, but Faith is necessary to please God.
- Humans are pleased with many things: music, a book, compliment, a meal, team winning, warm day. God is pleased with one thing: Faith.
- Heroes of old had many human faults:
- Noah got drunk
- Abraham gave his wife away.
- Jacob deceived his father
- Moses killed an Egyptian
- Samson liked foreign women
- Elisha used a gift to hurt some youth
- King David committed adultery
- Solomon’s polygamy
- Peter fell into pride
- But they all had one redeeming quality: faith!
16 And the Lord God commanded the man, “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; 17 but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die.”
4 “You will not surely die,” the serpent said to the woman.
6 When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it.
- Original sin was doubt.
9 For just as through the disobedience of the one man
- Adam and Eve did NOT believe they would die; they believed the serpents words that they would be wise and be like God.
Rom 14:23 “Whatever is not of faith is sin”
- Whatever is not of faith is sin.
- Sin ultimately is unbelief in what God says.
- Heroes of Faith.
- Noah built the ark.
- Abraham is the focus of the writer. He mentions 3 things Abraham did: Left his home, believe for a child to be born, offered his son to God.
- Isaac blessed
- Jacob blessed
- Joseph spoke of exodus
- Moses’s parents hid Moses
- Moses reject his Egyptian citizenship
- Moses kept the Passover
- Passed through the Red Sea
- Walls of Jericho fell
- Rahab protected the Israeli spies
32 And what more shall I say? I do not have time to tell about Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, David, Samuel and the prophets, 33 who through faith conquered kingdoms, administered justice, and gained what was promised; who shut the mouths of lions, 34 quenched the fury of the flames, and escaped the edge of the sword; whose weakness was turned to strength; and who became powerful in battle and routed foreign armies. 35 Women received back their dead, raised to life again.
- The expression of faith was different for all, and the result of their faith were also different.
- Today, you have different situations from others that you are going through.
- Different illness: chronic, life threatening, disease, illness, incurable or long time to get well.
- Demons: Mind: hearing voices, suicidal thoughts, paranoia, depression, anxiety attacks, jealousy, FEAR.
- Financial: need job, pay is not enough, debt, unexpected bills,
- Marriage. arguing, adultery, abuse, unhappy
- Children: small and adult, bad grade, not serving God, prison, drugs, gangs
1 Peter 2:24
24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.
- Stripes on his back. Wounds in his body. Punches in the face. Cuts on his brow caused by the thorns, holes in his hands and feet.
- Matza Bread.
- Unlike the Old Testament lambs that were killed swiftly and humanely, Jesus was not. Why? He not only came to take away your sins through the blood, but to heal ever aspect of your life.
- Body, Mind, Spirit, Money, Family, Children, Marriage,
- Jesus felt pain, felt rejection, felt humiliation, felt weak, felt poor.
11 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
2 For by it the elders obtained a good report.
- They got a good report card from God because of their faith.
- Hope. Expectation that what you want to happen will happen. As opposed to fear.
What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.
- Desire. A strong feeling of wanting to have something or wishing for something to happen. synonyms: Longing, wish, aspiration, craving.
- Assume not a sinful desire.
- John Chrysostom, “Faith gives reality or substance to things hoped for.”
- Hope is the blueprint, Faith is the bricks.
- Evidence Not Seen.
2 Cor 5:7
7 We live by faith, not by sight.
- Two things we do not see: God and our Hopes.
But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has?
- We do have EVIDENCE.
- Dinosaurs bones, Evidence
1 NOW FAITH is the assurance (the confirmation, the title deed) of the things [we] hope for, being the proof of things [we] do not see and the conviction of their reality [faith perceiving as real fact what is not revealed to the senses].
- Faith’s evidence.
- Confirmation. Danny and Peggy forgot confirmation number.
- Title Deed. Receipt of ownership. Paper declaring you owner. Bible is your paper receipt showing what you own.
- Paper work: receipts to exchange, show registration,
- Fact what is not revealed to the senses. God is here right now. Jesus is alive at this moment. Calvary is effective now. Holy Spirit is in this place.
- You are already healed, blessed and an heir of God. All the promises are yours.