God’s Grace for Marriage
3 Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason?”
4 “Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’ 5 and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’? 6 So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate.”
I. Why did you get married? So you can be happy or holy. A new view of marriage must be adopted: that God gave you marriage to be holy.
- Secular, “Happily ever after.”
- Church, “Holy Matrimony.”
- In pursuing happiness, we often abandon holiness.
- But in pursuing holiness, we often receive happiness.
- Motorcycle. You have to counter steer. If you want to go left, you must steer right.
II. People do one of four things if they are unhappy in their marriage:
- Find someone else that will make you happy.
- Fight with the person who makes you unhappy.
- Find ways to make yourself less unhappy
- Find a deeper meaning in your marriage.
III. Deeper meaning of marriage.
- “Creator”. Belief in God and that he made us and the world for a purpose.
- Atheists cannot believe in sacred marriage.
- “Creator” not simply “God.” Creator means he is the designer.
- Marriage is not an accident.
- Marriage is not a product of social evolution.
- “Male and female“. God wanted us to need each other. Complimentary relationships.
- We are creators, but we cannot do it without the opposite gender.
- “Same Sex Marriage” can never be God’s design.
- Homosexuals are prejudice against the opposite gender.
- God made us to be complimentary.
- See Appendix, Homosexuality.1
18 The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.”
2 Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.
23 The man said,
“This is now bone of my bones
and flesh of my flesh;
she shall be called ‘woman,’
for she was taken out of man.”
24 For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.
IV. Jesus saw marriage as God joining people together. God takes it upon himself to unite them.
- I once thought marriage took
Just two to make a go.
But now I’m convinced
It takes the Lord also
And not one marriage fails
Where Christ is asked to enter
As lovers come together
With Jesus at the center
In homes where Christ is first
It’s obvious to see
Those unions really work
For marriage still takes three.
B. Jesus added something not explicitly said in the Genesis account but clearly taught. “God joins a man and woman in holy matrimony.”
- God says, “It is not good for the man to be alone.”
- God says, “I will make a helper”
- God causes Adam to fall into a deep sleep.
- God makes a woman from Adam’s rib.
- God brings the woman to the man.
- God is completely responsible for holy matrimony. .
V. Grace. Trees on the Western slopes of cascade in the state of Washington.
- Trees are so old because there is so much rain.
- Lightening strikes just as more and usually more, but the trees rarely get destroyed because they are so wet.
- Sacrament is God’s rain of grace over a marriage, and even though lightening strikes just as often on Sacred Marriage, and perhaps even more, because Satan attacks sacred marriages more than secular, yet those marriages are not destroy because of God’s grace in their lives.
- If I am married only for happiness, and my happiness wanes for whatever reason, one little spark will burn the entire forest of my relationship.
22 “‘Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable.
- Torah (The Law) forbids homosexual conduct.
17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets;
- Jesus as a Rabbi, affirms the torah. He even brings it to a higher form (mind and heart).
15 I tell you the truth, it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town.
- Jesus reminds us of the judgment of Sodom and Gomorrah. Sodomy, named after this city.
5 They called to Lot, “Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them.”
- Main sin of Sodom was homosexuality.
4 “Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’ 5 and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’?
- Jesus affirms the obvious, marriage is for male and female.
- The fact that the subject of homosexuality never comes up for debate within the gospels speaks louder than if it did. It meant that Jesus and the rest of the rabbis were in full agreement concerning the prohibition of homosexuality.
- Jesus never spoke out against pedophilia, or bestiality, or incest.